Assistant Professor / Associate senior university lecturer / Wallenberg Academy Fellow
I am an Associate senior university lecturer at the Department of Astronomy and Theoretical Physics at Lund University, Sweden. My work mainly concerns the formation and evolution of galaxies. In 2010 I completed my Ph.D. at the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of Zurich. After this I took up a fellowship position at the Kavli Institure for Theoretical Physics, University of Chicago. In 2013 I became a lecturer in the astrophysics group at the Univerity of Surrey, and in 2016 I started my current position at Lund University.
The VINTERGATAN simulation
Spectroscopic surveys of the Milky Way's stars have revealed spatial, chemical and kinematical structures that encode its history. To understand the origins of these trends, we have carried out and dissected a new high resolution cosmological of a Milky Way-like galaxy, VINTERGATAN. (Vintergatan is the Swedish word for Milky Way, literally The Winter Street)
Simulation details and results in:
- Agertz et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN I: The origins of chemically, kinematically and structurally distinct discs in a simulated Milky Way-mass galaxy
- Renaud et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN II: the history of the Milky Way told by its mergers
- Renaud et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN III: how to reset the metallicity of the Milky Way
Movies can be found HERE.
- Galaxy formation and evolution
- Star formation, the interstellar medium and stellar feedback processes
- Galactic winds the and the nature of the circum-galactic medium
- Computational astrophysics and hydrodynamics
- Dark matter and structure formation
Teaching and supervision
- Extragalactic astronomy, 7.5HP [ASTM19] , course coordinator and lecturer
Master level course, given every second year. More information about the course can be found on the course website
- Topics in Theoretical Astrophysics, 7.5HP [NAS001F] , course coordinator and lecturer
PhD level course, given every second year. More information about the course can be found on the course website
- B.Sc, M.Sc and PhD students
I supervise students at B.Sc, M.Sc and PhD levels. Contact me for information about available projects.
Virtual Reality visualisation
Within the DATA theme (2017-2018) at the Pufendorf Institute for Advances Studies, I collaborated with Mattias Wallergard (Design Science, LTH), Simon Holk (Student, LTH) and researchers at Humlab (Henrik Garde, Diederick C. Nierhorster) to develop a Virtual Reality framework for visualising astrophysical data. For more information about this effort, click the presentation below.
This work continues thanks to a grant (Visualising the assembly of the Milky Way. PI: Stefen Lindgren, Humlab, LU, 2018-2020) from the e-Science Collaboration (eSSSENCE) in Sweden.
Displaying of publications. Sorted by year, then title.