Associate Professor / Senior university lecturer / Wallenberg Academy Fellow
I am an Associate Professor at the Department of Astronomy and Theoretical Physics at Lund University, Sweden. Our group’s research is focused on the formation and evolution of galaxies in a cosmological context. Using state-of-the-art computer simulations, we explore a wide range of topics, including how galaxies form in dark matter halos, the physics of galaxy mergers, star formation in the interstellar medium, stellar feedback processes, and the origins of galactic outflows.
- Galaxy formation and evolution
- Star formation, the interstellar medium and stellar feedback processes
- Galactic winds the and the nature of the circum-galactic medium
- Computational astrophysics and hydrodynamics
- Dark matter and structure formation
Spectroscopic surveys of the Milky Way's stars have revealed spatial, chemical and kinematical structures that encode its history. To understand the origins of these trends, we have carried out and dissected a new high resolution cosmological of a Milky Way-like galaxy, VINTERGATAN. (Vintergatan is the Swedish word for Milky Way, literally The Winter Street)
Simulation details and results in:
- Agertz et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN I: The origins of chemically, kinematically and structurally distinct discs in a simulated Milky Way-mass galaxy
- Renaud et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN II: the history of the Milky Way told by its mergers
- Renaud et al. (2020): VINTERGATAN III: how to reset the metallicity of the Milky Way
Movies can be found HERE.
Teaching and supervision
- Fluid Dynamics, 7.5 HP [FYTA14]
Course responsible ad lecturer. Bachelor level course, given every year (spring term). More information can be found here
- Extragalactic astronomy, 7.5HP [ASTM19]
Course responsible and lecturer. Master level course, given every second year. More information about the course can be found on the course website
- Topics in Theoretical Astrophysics, 7.5HP [NAS001F]
Course responsible and lecturer. PhD level course, given every second year. More information about the course can be found on the course website
- B.Sc, M.Sc and PhD students
I supervise students at B.Sc, M.Sc and PhD levels. Contact me for information about available projects.
Displaying of publications. Sorted by year, then title.